Socorro Giant Manta Student Project & Trip
June 24-July 5, 2019
SOCORRO - You can see mantas in many places around the world. But nowhere else boasts a population of giant mantas that literally seek out interaction with divers and snorkellers. The behaviour these giant mantas exhibit is almost inexplicable. These gentle giants with a wingspan up to 20 feet consistently approach divers for intimate eye-to-eye encounters. If you are able to be calm and still in the water, you are almost sure to experience what we call “manta love.” While mantas are the reason to voyage out to Socorro, there are lots of other animals to see, including schooling hammerheads and silky sharks, plus 8 other species of sharks, bottlenose dolphins that consistently hang out with divers at certain dive sites, large schools of pelagic fish, and, in season, humpback whales.
THE PROJECT: Students will be developing and collecting data via underbelly photographs and measurements for a new cutting edge cloud based database of giant mantas that we are developing using facial recognition software to allow researchers to learn more about these unknown pelagic animals.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE: Students must have completed a previous Blue Endeavors trip & project to be eligible. Additional training in Monterey may be required based on experience level. Former students no longer in high school are still able to come. Priority will be given to students, however, if any parents are interested we are starting a wait list, and if there is space after all interested students are booked, parents and family will be able to sign-up in order of expressed interest.
FINANCIAL AID: A friend to BE, Mike Lever has donated three spots on the trip (not including travel expenses) for students that have a financial need. Please email vince at email@example.com if you would like to participate and have a financial need.
STAFF & CHAPERONES: Similar to previous trips, in addition to the dive staff on the Nautilus, we will have Blue Endeavors instructors leading the dive operations, and students chaperones.
- June 24th: Flight from SFO to Cabo San Lucas. That evening we will be staying at the Tesoro Resort, and check in with the crew.
- June 25th: Board the Nautilus Belle Amie, and journey to Socorro. (No cell access on this trip. There is the possibility of poor internet service for $100 extra, but it often does not work. The ship has satellite phones to make and receive important calls.
- June 26- July 4th: Dive with giant mantas, dolphins, and other pelagic animals.
- July 5th: Arrive back in Cabo at 9:00am. Fly back to SFO.
THE DEPOSIT: We have very limited space on this trip. To secure your spot please use the link below. The next $950 deposit is due August 1st, 2018. The remaining payments will be due November 1st, 2018, and March 1st, 2019. If a medical issue arises travel insurance is included in the cost of the trip to refund deposits and payments. Non-medical or travel insurance covered deposits are refundable for any reason once the full value of all the spaces on the trip have been purchased by another diver. For a limited time there is an optional early bird 7% discount for anyone who pays the entire trip cost in full.
PRICE / WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Diving & Instruction in Socorro
- Accommodations - 2 divers per stateroom
- All meals (Not including alcohol for 21+)
- 1 night at the Tesoro Resort
- Airfare (It is too far out to confirm the booking of airfare or at the Tesoro so there may be a small change in price. If it has been overestimated you will be offered a refund on the difference)
- Airline transfers
- Airline baggage fee 1-bag
- Travel insurance
- Dive medical insurance
- All taxes and port fees
- Nautilus gratuity
- Dive gear rental including lifelines and SMBs
Total w/ Standard Stateroom Accommodations: $5,759
Total w/ Superior Stateroom Accommodations: $6,419
Total w/ Premium Stateroom Accommodations: $7,079
Please use one of the links below to secure your space with a deposit or the pay-in-full 7% discount. Please also indicate your room choice and preferred roommate if you have one.
Hope to see you in Socorro!